Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Invisable Disability ~ The Storm You Can't Always See

When you think of the word 'disabled', what do you think of? A spinal cord injury survivor in a wheel chair, a blind person with a guide dog, or a quadriplegic? These of course are all very visible and life altering disabilities but not all disabilities are as visible.
So what is an invisible disability?
"The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. This includes people who have a record of such an impairment, even if they do not currently have a disability. It also includes individuals who do not have a disability but are regarded as having a disability. The ADA also makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person based on that person’s association with a person with a disability."

An invisible disability is the same as any other disability, it's just not always visible but it's still just as hard for those of us who have them. It's easy to have a disability and be depressed, careless, and angry. When it gets hard is when you ask people for help. I think a lot of college students are afraid to ask for help for the fear of people telling them they are too young to be going through this and to just get over it. Most of us can't get over it unless we ask for help.

Medication can't fix 80 % of the issues people with invisible disabilities are going to encounter. I have a difficult time focusing when I'm in pain, sometimes I have to leave class to take a break or slow down. Unless you know me, really really really well, you can't usually tell when I'm having a difficult day. I kind of just stick a smile on my face and try to complain as little as I possibly can while still getting through the day. I wouldn't even call what I have a disability if it weren't defined the way it is in the ADA. But it effects my life every day and I can't change much about that.  I want to be able to do everything everyone else can, and I know I can do that. I just have to do things a little differently and not rush into a life that I will later regret. Maybe someday soon I will be better but for now I have to take care of myself.

So to anyone else in college trying to hide their invisible disability, ask for help. The #1 best thing you can do is make friends with people who understand what your going through. Create a support system you can rely on. And remember just because something is wrong with you doesn't mean your being selfish. Your just taking care of yourself and there's nothing wrong with that!

Trek on,
Girl minus dog 

2 comments: