Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Updates on Life

I haven't posted in quite a while. The truth is, I have been extremely busy and my health hasn't been exactly as wonderful as it should be (mentally or physically). I have been living with my mom in Phoenix this summer. To say the least, it's not my favorite place in the world to be. But it does have it's perks!

In an effort to learn more about canine reproductive physiology and behavior, I took on a summer job working for a world famous dog breeder. I wasn't really expecting to be working with 14 pound show dogs all summer, but I have learned so much! Every day I train 6-14 dogs and help take care of about 45 King Charles Cavalier Spaniels ranging from 8 weeks-10 years old. Things are done a lot differently when you have that many dogs to work with at a time. I'm the Dog Groomer, Trainer, Housekeeper, pooper scooper, and much more. I admit that a Cavalier probably wouldn't be the right dog for me, but I do love some of their personalities! They are fun to train, but challenging at the same time. I'm hoping that one day I will be asked to show one off in a fancy show ring somewhere, and win a pretty ribbon. Who knows?!?!

Yuma at 7 weeks old! 









Next semester is approaching quickly. I have purchased my first vehicle, a blue 2002 subaru outback, lovingly known as 'the bluebaru'. There where many reasons why I decided upon a subaru. One of which was that my friend Amelia over at www.doggoestocollege.com, convinced me that 8 labrador retrievers could be fit in it quite nicely, and you could pull a 1 or 2 horse trailer behind it. I will have to put this to the test sometime. Anyone willing to loan me some labradors? (warning: you might not get them back).

Blueburu
Another big thing going on, I'm moving off campus. Although living on campus was a great experience in some ways my freshman year, there was simply too much drama and the cost of living on campus is significant compared to what it cost me to live on my own. I want to be more independent, and this is my opportunity. I have applied for an apprenticeship with a hunting dog breeder in the next town over from my school and hope that it works out. The big bushy husky/Australian Shepard my dad has had since I was about 12 years old, will be moving to college with me temporarily. If i'm going to be living on my own, I need a big security system to protect me, and Lucas fits the bill!

I'm taking 15 credits next semester instead of 18. This will hopefully allow my health to improve and give me the opportunity to do more service dog things, and things I enjoy doing with my life that aren't related to school or dogs at all. I'm hoping to train at least 2 more horses in the next year. I love school but it stressed me out terribly and believe it or not, there are other things that I also enjoy doing. So, I will be taking it easy, studying hard, and enjoying life!
Leave a comment below! I love feedback :)

Girl and Pup A.K.A. Kyia + Lucas <3


Lucas after bath and a shave

1 comment: